April 19, 2015

Pan Bagnat {Provençal Tuna Sandwich}


When I turned 11, my mother brought me on a trip to Paris. I remember the same happening for my sister. My brother was brought to Manchester to see Man United play at Old Trafford by my father. 

I remember friends asking me at the age of 11 what I got for my birthday. To which I told them that my mother was bringing me to Paris for a few days. For me, that was the most extravagant birthday present ANY 11 year old could receive. It still is. I can't believe that I was lucky enough to be brought on a trip like that. 

If I ever have children, I'll have to keep this part of my life very quiet. We can't have every 11 year old thinking that a trip to Paris is a normal birthday gift!!  


Do you want to know why we were brought on trips at the age of 11? It was just before we left childhood and it was to show us that there was an exciting world of culture and beauty out there.......

Let that sink in for a second. 

I don't think I could be anymore grateful for my parents having this outlook on life and our lives at such a young age. 

The trip obviously had an impact on me. If the goal was for me to move out-it worked! The trip to Paris paid off for my parents as I now don't live at home!! (Joking) 

Look at me though, I'm still discovering the world. I've been living in New York for almost an entire year and there is still so much more to discover. 


This sandwich ties in with my trip to Paris. I have memories of sandwich carts lining the paths of the beautiful parks in Paris. I think I went in Spring time so people were milling about eating sandwiches and sitting on park benches in the sun. 

I remember sitting in the Tuilerie Gardens, a public park in the 1st arrondissement of Paris, near Alberto Giacometti's Grande Femme II sculpture eating a sandwich we bought from a sandwich cart. The sandwich was on french bread, obviously (!!), and it had tuna and hard boiled egg on it, among other thing. Ever since eating that sandwich at the age of 11, it has been knocking around in my brain. The fact that tuna and hard boiled egg were on the sandwich blew my mind! 

I once tried to blog this sandwich but I was more interested in eating it that I never had any pictures of the end result to post with the recipe! As in, I took no pictures and that is the whole point of blogging!!


This is my interpretation of a memory of a sandwich. This is how I remember the sandwich and how I want to remember it. 

If you like egg and tuna and have never had the two on a sandwich you need to take a second and think about whether you have been feeling like your life has been missing something recently.  

You may think that it's the lack of sleep and down time in your life, or the lack of fruits and vegetables and consistent meals in your life or the fact that you don't have a significant other. 
Let me reassure you-it's the fact that you've never had this sandwich before!

Enjoy,
Holly, x


Roughly chop the gherkins and pitted black olives and place in a bowl.


Thinly slice the red onion, the pepper and half the cherry tomatoes and add to the bowl. 


Open the tuna and add to the bowl, including all of the olive oil. Since there is no other liquid going into this mixture the olive oil is what binds it.


Crack over a generous amount of  black pepper and mix to combine. 


Once mixed set the bowl aside to sit for 20-30 minutes to allow the flavors to mingle. 

Taste and check for seasoning-add more pepper if you like and a little salt if you feel that it needs it. 


Cut the rolls in half and scoop out a little of the bread-this means you can add more filling to the sandwich, which is always the way to go!


Arrange a bed of salad leaves on the bottom piece of bread. 

Divide the tuna filling in half and pile on top of the salad leaves.


Peel the egg and cut into quarters. 

Arrange two quarters on top of the tuna and place the lid on top. 

Recipe, serves 2 

2 Bread Rolls
1 Egg
1 Tin Tuna, in olive oil
2-3 Tablespoons Pitted Black Olives
2 Gherkins
1/2 Small Red Onion
6-10 Baby Cherry Tomatoes
1/4 Orange Pepper
Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
Salad Leaves

Bring a small pot of water to the boil. 
Once boiled, slowly lower the egg into the water and hard boil for 7-8 minutes.
Once cooked, drain the water and allow to cool before peeling.
In the meantime, roughly chop the gherkins and pitted black olives and place in a bowl.
Thinly slice the red onion, the pepper and add to the bowl.
Half the cherry tomatoes and add to the bowl too. 
Open the tuna and add to the bowl, including all of the olive oil.
Crack over a generous amount of  black pepper and mix to combine. 
Set the bowl aside to sit for 20-30 minutes to allow the flavors to mingle. 
Taste and check for seasoning-add more pepper if you like and a little salt if you feel that it needs it. 
Cut the rolls in half and scoop out a little of the bread-this means you can add more filling to the sandwich, which is always the way to go!
Arrange a bed of salad leaves on the bottom piece of bread. 
Divide the tuna filling in half and pile on top of the salad leaves.
Peel the egg and cut into quarters.
Arrange two quarters on top of the tuna and place the lid on top. 
Cut the sandwich in half or just shove it in your face!

1 comment:

  1. Looks fab - next on my sandwich list!
    Tracy - poundofbutter.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete