March 08, 2015

Grapefruit Ricotta Cookies


I'm still not sure if I like grapefruit. For the first time in my life I ate a whole grapefruit when I baked these. I bought four because they were four for $2 in the supermarket and who doesn't love a deal?

I feel like a child who is being fed a lemon when I eat one. But, they're really juicy and refreshing so it's very confusing for my brain. 

I want to like them but I haven't made my mind up yet. I still have one in the fridge. That one will be the decider. I may go back for four more at $2 or I will never buy one again in my life. Unless I decide to make these grapefruit ricotta cookies again and that is very likely! 


I even ordered a grapefruit margarita at dinner lat night. There was smoked salt around the rim of the glass. It was rather delicious!


We make these cookies at the place I work. Well, not this flavor. We make a lemon one that is suuuuper popular. 

I couldn't just make the very same ones so I changed up the citrus fruit.

These cookies are light and fluffy, like clouds, and covered really really generously in a grapefruit glaze. They are perfect. 

They are great with a cup of coffee. 


They keep really well. Keep them in an air tight container and you'll have them for three days, maybe more. The ricotta keeps them really moist. I don't think they're going to last for three days but if they were to last that long they'd still be edible! 

Are you impressed by that? 

Enjoy,

Holly, x


Yo ingredients! The grapefruits were less grapefruit looking and more orange looking which I was really disappointed at when I cut them open! I wanted to have a bright ruby pink grapefruit glaze on the cookies. But, alas...you have to work with what you have! 


Preheat the oven to 180C and line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper.

Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. 


Whisk in the egg and vanilla extract until incorporated. 


Zest the lemon and grapefruit and stir it into the butter mixture.


Stir in with the ricotta. I'm obsessed with ricotta at the minute. It, on toast with some honey is my jam. 


Sieve together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and fold in.


If the dough appears to wet, add another tablespoon or two of flour. If it seems too dry, add a tablespoon or two of water. It should be ok though. Just make sure that you stir is fully...but not too much! You don't want to over work the cookie dough and make it dense!


With wet hands, divide the cookie dough into 12 equal portions and roll into balls. 

Place on the lined baking trays, nicely spaced apart, push flatten then every so slightly. 

Bake in the preheated oven for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.


Remove from the oven, allow to sit for 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack to cool completely. 

Once they're cooled, mix the icing sugar and grapefruit juice together and spoon over the cooled cookies. Let them sit until the glaze is set...if you can! 


Recipe, makes 12

70g Unsalted Butter, room temp
150g Granulated Sugar
1 Large Egg
150g Ricotta
1 Lemon
1 Grapefruit
275g Plain Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Bicarbonate Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Vanilla Teaspoon Vanilla Extract 

Preheat the oven to 180C and line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. 
Whisk in the egg.
Zest the lemon and grapefruit and add to the above. 
Stir in with the ricotta and vanilla extract. 
Sieve together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and fold in.

With wet hands, divide the cookie dough into 12 equal portions and roll into balls. 
Place on the lined baking trays, nicely spaced apart, push flatten then every so slightly. 
Bake in the preheated oven for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. 
Remove from the oven, allow to sit for 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack to cool completely. 

Grapefruit Glaze

100g Icing Sugar
4-6 Teaspoon Fresh Grapefruit Juice

Mix the two ingredients together.
Spoon over the cooled cookies and allow to set.

2 comments:

  1. Grapefruity clouds how lovely. You may have rescued grapefruits or redefined their uses!

    ReplyDelete