February 01, 2015

Muffaletta {Stuffed Sandwich}


At this stage I'm not sure if anyone cares but look, I've blogged this week!

Turns out I suck.  I make promises and straight up bail on them. I could make excuses for my absence  (again) on Holly's Pantry but that would be annoying and predictable. So, I'm not going to.  

HOWEVER, all I'm going to say is I've gotten my hands on a laptop. Turns out blogging without a laptop is VERY difficult. Impossible really. The blogger app on iPads is horrific and don't even get me started on the blogger app for iPhone! 



Since moving to NYC, I've become completely wrapped up in living. Living a life I never had in Ireland. A life that is so full of the unexpected. In Ireland I always knew I would blog on one of my days off. Here, I never know what I'm going to be doing or where I'll be. I'm going to bring structure back into my life, Christ do I need it!

I've fallen off the bandwagon. I've lost my mojo for blogging. But I'm getting it back. 


For two very important reasons I need blogging back in my life: 

1: It makes me happy and I miss cooking. 

2: It makes me happy and I miss writing. 

You can't argue with that, can you?! 

I miss sitting down and having something to say. Yes, nobody might be reading this (Hi Mam) and who cares what I have to say. But it's therapeutic and sometimes you just gotta get it out. 

Maybe, I'll let you in on some of the things that have been happening to me! Tell you about the people I've been meeting (both good and bad!) and all the places I've been eating. If you've seen my Instagram you know I've got the food pictures to prove it!

Enjoy,
Holly, x 


Start by cutting the bread in half. 


Scoop the doughy bread part from each half of bread. Either eat this now as a snack or keep to make croutons or breadcrumbs!


Next, stir the tapenade and the dijon mustard together.


Sread the tapenade mixture all over the hollowed out base of bread.


Take the cooked ham and layer it in an even layer over the tapenade.


Do the same thing with the salami...


...and the roasted tomatoes.


Thinly slice the cheese and lay it over the roasted tomatoes.


Pick some big and beautiful basil leaves, clean them if needed, and lay them over the roasted tomatoes.


Lastly, lay on the mortadella.


Taking some of the oil from the roasted tomatoes, drizzle it into the hollowed out lid of bread.


LOOK at all the layers...this is only going to be the BEST sandwich ever!


Place the lid on top...tucking any sticking out cheese/meat bits inside the round.


Tightly wrap the entire sandwich in clingfilm. Place it in the fridge with a small plate on top ,weighed down with a heavy jar. Leave the sandwich for 1-2 hours, so that all the ingredients get to know each other. 

Remove it from the fridge, unwrap and cut into 4. DIG IN!


Ingredients

450g Cooked Ham
125g Mortadella
100g Salami
75g Cheese-any type you want: cheddar/mozzarella etc etc
125g Roasted Tomatoes, in oil
10 Leaves Fresh Basil
3 Tablespoons Tapenade
1 Tablespoon Dijon
1 Round Boule-6-8 inches round

Cut the bread in half horizontally and scoop out the insides.
Set the lid aside and place the bottom half in front of you to work with.
Mix the dijon mustard with the tapenade.
Spread this all over the base of the bottom half of the bread.
Take the ham and lay it in an even layer over the tapenade.
Next, evenly lay over the salami.
Thinly slice the cheese and lay on top of the salami.
Cover the cheese with the roasted tomatoes and the tomatoes with the fresh basil leaves.
Finally, lay on the mortadella.
Drizzle the lid with a little olive oil from the roasted tomatoes and place on top of the mortadella.
Wrap the whole thing tightly in clingfilm.
Place in the fridge with a small plate on top weighed down with a heavy jar.
Leave for 1-2 hours before removing from the fridge.
Unwrap and cut into 4.

To serve it warm.
Preheat an oven to 200C.
Remove from the fridge, remove the clingfilm and wrap the whole thing in tinfoil.
Place on an baking tray and place in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until warm and the cheese in melted.
Remove from the oven, allow to sit for 5 minutes and then cut into four.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Holly welcome back, I await your words of wisdom... and your food

    ReplyDelete