February 28, 2015

Breakfast Sandwich {bacon+egg+cheese}


This breakfast sandwich begins with bread, eggs, cheese, bacon, avocado and ends with an empty plate and a happy human. 

I added avocado to the mix because it's delicious, looks great and I'm a twenty something  year old white girl who adds it to everything. $2 to add avocado to a burger/salad. Yeah, let's do it, and I'll do it every.single.time. 

You wanna date me? You better bring an extra $2 to the table for my avocado. Wait, that makes it sound like I expect you to pay for my meal. Nah brah, I don't expect that. I'm an independent women who can pay for her own avocado and her own meal. Also her bills....her telephone bills and automobile bills. 

But, if you want to that's sweet and chivalrous. We can take turns. I'll pay for the next meal-provided the first one goes well and you don't show up at my place of work because you were 'in the neighborhood'. 

WOW, we've gotten WAY off topic. Let's get back to what's important: breakfast and not the overly forward member of the opposite sex. That can be another conversation!  


You may or may not have all the ingredients on hand to make this sandwich. I didn't, but it's a point in my life I am striving towards. Similar to always having milk, plasters or toilet paper in the house. 

IF you are the person who can get up any morning and make this without having to go to the shop for a single ingredient-where are you and where can I find you? I want to marry you. I think we'd make a great team. 

People would call us 'The Dream Team' or 'D.T' for short. 


I've been eating these breakfast sandwiches not so much as a breakfast but as a sandwich picked up at the corner shop, or bodega as the locals call it, on the way home from a night out with my girl Pippa

And when I say eating, I mean we've maybe had three of them over the course of a few months. 


We go to the same place owned by an uncle and nephew. The uncle sits at the till and takes the money while the nephew makes the sandwiches and understands the importance of fresh cracked black pepper by offering, 'salt and peppa laydees?'. He likes to P.P.P.PUSH the SALT'N'PEPA REAL GOOD.  

That's not something you expect at 2am and it's something I will forever cherish. It's the little things in life. 

Enjoy!

Holly, x


Gather your ingredients: bread, bacon, eggs, cheese and avocado. The avocado isn't necessary, the sandwich will be just as delicious without it...but I just had an extra $2 lying around (!!!). 

I may be a cheesemonger but I used grated 'red cheddar' from a bag for this sandwich. I very almost bought easy singles...that's the flavor and level of sophistication I wanted for this sandwich. By all means change up the cheese make it as gourmet as you desire. I used pig bacon because duh but you could use turkey bacon if you fancy. You healthy. 


To get the get the ball rolling, heat a frying pan and cook the bacon to your preferred level of crispness. 

Cut the bread rolls in half, line one half of a baking sheet with non-stick baking paper and place the cut bread rolls, cut side up on the unlined side. 

Remove the bacon from the pan and set it aside-we're going to use it to cook our eggs in. 

Cut the bacon slices in half and make two piles that will fit over the bottom pieces of bread and place these on the lined side of the baking sheet. 


Top the bacon with cheese. Go H.A.M or not so h.a.m with the amount of cheese you use. 

Place the baking sheet under a low grill and lightly toast the bread and melt the cheese over the bacon. Keep an eye on this-the bread might toast before the cheese melts fully. 


Remember the frying pan we set aside? We're going to fry our eggs in the bacon fat that came off the bacon. 

While the bread is toasting and the cheese is melting-fry the two eggs. 


Remove the baking sheet from the oven and, yes you guessed it, crack some black pepper over the melted cheese. 


Spread the bottom piece of bread with a little mayo and top with sliced avocado. 


Place the bacon and melted cheese on top, the fried egg and the top piece of bread. Cut in half, fall in love and eat. 

A dash or two of hot sauce would be great on this!! 


Recipe, serves 2

2 Baps/Bagels/Rolls etc
4 Slices Thick Cut Hickory Smoked Bacon
2 Large Eggs
Cheese, cheddar, mozzarella, gruyere-slices or grated, as much as you like!
Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
Mayo
1 Avocado, optional

In a frying pan cook the bacon to your preferred level of crispness.
Line one side of a baking sheet with non-stick baking paper.
Half the bread and place on the unlined side of the baking sheet, cut side up. 
Once the bacon is cooked, remove from the pan,, keep the pan and set it aside to fry the eggs in.
Cut the four pieces in half and arrange into two piles that will cover the bottom piece of bread. 
Top each bacon pile with cheese-be as liberal with the cheese as you dare to go. 
Place the baking tray until a low grill to lightly toast the bread and melt the cheese over the bacon-keep an eye on this, the cheese might melt or the bread might toast quicker. 
While the bread is toasting and the cheese is melting fry the eggs in the pan you used to cook the bacon. 
Remove the baking sheet from the oven.
Spread the bottom piece of bread with a little mayo and top with sliced avocado, if using. 
Crack some fresh black pepper on top of the melted cheese and place on the bottom piece of piece.
Top each with a fried egg and pop of the lid. 
Eat.

2 comments:

  1. Holly- what a sandwich. Great photos and I really like the life chat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if i could i'd make it every morning but that would be ridiculous!!

      Delete