June 08, 2014

Spicy Black Bean and Charred Corn Salsa


Who's binge watching the new season of Orange Is The New Black?! Is it amazing? Have you already finished the season? Did you watch it all in one day? I plan on watching the entire season on my next day off. I see myself sitting on the couch in my pajamas all day. I will only move from the couch for the obvious things: food, water and bathroom breaks.  


This Spicy Black Bean and Charred Corn Salsa will be by my side as I watch OITNB. It'll be my viewing buddy, and I won't feel so bad about eating ALL of it because it's just vegetables. However, what I eat with it will be my downfall. I'll have to give myself a limited amount of tortilla chips. 
The salsa is fresh, sweet, spicy and crunchy-all the things I want . Don't come near me with a soggy salsa.


If OITNB aint on the cards for you, you can still hook up with this salsa. Make it and have it in your fridge to munch on. It is best friends with tortilla chips or will go with just about anything-chicken, chorizo, eggs. 

Think about this salsa on a flour tortilla with some crispy fried chorizo and a poached egg. Just let that sink in. If I have any of this salsa left after watching OITNB, imma put it with chorizo and an egg for breakfast. 

Enjoy,

Holly, x


Salsa ingredients: 1 medium red onion, 1 large plum tomato, 1 garlic clove, 2 ears of fresh corn, 1 400g tin black beans, juice of 1-2 limes, hot sauce and tortilla chips for serving. 

Avocado would be ace in this salsa and feel free to add coriander.


Begin by charring the corn, heat a grill to high and char these babies. Make sure to keep an eye on them and rotate the corn for an even char. If you have a gas burning, rest the corn over the flame and char them that way. 

Once good and charred, remove the corn and allow it to cool as you prep the other vegetables.


Dice the red onion. Take your time here and dice the onion nice and small...you don't want massive chunks of raw onion in your salsa. Or, maybe you do...do yo' thang, it's your salsa. 

.
Do the same with the tomato. 


Once the corn has cold...


Remove the corn from the cob by standing the cob upright on the chopping board and running a knife carefully down the length of the cob. 


Place all the chopped ingredients in a bowl with a minced garlic clove, a generous glug of hot sauce, the juice of one lime, salt and pepper. 

Set the salsa aside for 10 minutes. 


After 10 minutes, taste the salsa and check for seasoning. You may want to add more lime juice, hot sauce and salt and pepper. 


Recipe,

1 Medium Red Onion
2 Ears Fresh Corn
1 Large Plum Tomato
1 Garlic Clove
1 Tin Black Beans
1-2 Limes
Hot Sauce
Tortilla Chips, to serve
Salt and Pepper

Heat the grill to high and char the corn under the heat, rotating to get an even char. 
Remove from the grill and allow to cool.
Finely dice the red onion, plum tomato and garlic and place in a bowl.
Drain the tin of black beans and rinse under cold water, add to the bowl. 
Remove the corn from the cob by standing the cob upright and carefully running the knife down the length of the corn.
Add the corn to the bowl with the juice of 1 lime, a generous glug of hot sauce and salt and pepper.
Stir and set aside for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, taste the salsa and adjust the hot sauce, lime, salt and pepper. 
Eat now or place in the fridge for a few hours...this will be amazing the next day!
Serve with tortilla chips and an ice cold beer. 

4 comments:

  1. This looks like a very healthy dip! And although I haven't watched OITNB I am definitely a binge-watcher of series. My favourite thing to do is to watch a whole season on my days off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is pretty healthy and SUPER delish!...it balances out the tv binge watching :P

      Delete
  2. We will try that Holly. It looks really tasty.

    ReplyDelete