March 09, 2014

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus with Rosemary Pita Chips


How much hummus can you eat? Be honest. I know that for me, once a tub of hummus is opened it's gone before the day is out. My preferred vehicles for hummus: pita chips, toasted pita bread, bread sticks, bagels, snap peas, carrot sticks, a sweet apple and a spoon. 


I have made hummus and pita chips before here on Holly's Pantry. Here's Hummus with Salt and Pepper Pita Chips from last year, have a look. 

I might do a 'Hummus and Pita Chips Series' on the blog! There are so many version to make.


Hummus with pita chips is my go-to snack at the moment. Almost every time I open the fridge door and see the bowl of roasted red pepper hummus staring at me, I have to have some!

Enjoy,

Holly, x


Hummus ingredients: chickpeas, garlic, roasted red peppers, cayenne pepper, olive oil, salt, pepper and iced pepper. 

A hummus recipe generally always calls for tahini paste, which is a paste made from sesame seeds. I thought I had some in the press as I was going to make this, turns out I didn't! If you have some, add 1 tablespoon to the recipe, but it's not necessary. 

Rosemary pita chips: pita breads, fresh rosemary, salt, pepper and olive oil. 


Begin by roasting the peppers. Preheat an oven to 200C and roast the peppers for 30-40 minutes. Remove the peppers from the oven and place in a bowl. Cover the peppers tightly with clingfilm and set aside for 10-15 minutes.


As the peppers are covered with clingfilm, they will steam. Once the peppers are cool enough to handle, peel the skin away from the flesh.


Place the roasted red peppers into a food blender along with the chickpeas, cayenne pepper, garlic and olive oil.

Turn the blender on and make a paste. With the motor still running, pour the iced water down the funnel and keep blitzing until you have a smooth hummus.

Taste for seasoning and serve with the pita chips!


Recipe

2 Red Peppers, roasted
2-3 Garlic Cloves
2 x 400g Tins Chickpeas
Salt and Pepper
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
125ml Ice Cold Water
Cayene Pepper, optional and for spice

Preheat the oven to 200C.
Lay the red peppers on a baking sheets and roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
Remove the red peppers from the oven, place in a bowl and cover tightly with clingfilm.
Set aside and allow the peppers to steam-this helps remove the skin.
Once the peppers are cool enough to handle, peel off the skin and discard along with the seeds. 
Roughly chop the garlic cloves and drain the chickpeas. 
Place all the ingredients, except the iced water, in food processor and blitz.  
With the motor running, pour half the iced water down the funnel.
Turn off and scrap down the side of the bowl.
With the mixer on add the rest of water and continuing blitzing until the hummus is smooth. 

Rosemary Pita Chips

6 Pita Bread
1 Sprig Fresh Rosemary
Salt and Pepper
1-2 Tablespoons Olive Oil

Preheat the oven to 200C.
Cut the pita breads into 1/2 inch strips and place on a baking tray.
Finely chop the rosemary and sprinkle over the pita strips along with salt, pepper and olive oil.
Toss well and bake in the preheated oven for 7-9 minutes.
Remove form the oven and allow to cool. 
Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place. 

2 comments:

  1. I'll be honest: I eat so much hummus once on my birthday I was given a massive bag of pita chips to aid me in my addiction. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is one of the greatest things I've ever heard!

      Delete