February 28, 2014

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pancakes


Monday got to me. Several things got the better of me: a dead car battery, no SD card for my camera and an unbelievably rude bus driver. I've been off work for the last two weeks and I believe my lack of social interaction is getting to me! Can you say cabin fever?

The day started off with an MRI scan-that sounds way worse than it actually is! I fell and hurt my back while I was in Edinburgh the week before last. The worst part about the scan? I was listening to the radio through headphones, and Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody came on. I couldn't move, I couldn't sing along and I couldn't go all Wayne's World while lying there. Bummer man. 


What makes all your frustrations disappear? Pancakes. Soft, fluffy pancakes. Pancakes that are studded with milk chocolate chips and scented with peanut butter. Pancakes that are stacked and topped with a blob of Nutella, a drizzling of golden syrup and a crowning of chopped toasted hazelnuts. 


It's Pancake Tuesday or Shrove Tuesday on March 4th. These pancakes would/will be ideal for the day. Super, super easy to make and even easier to eat. 

They'd be perfect for breakfast with some natural yogurt and fresh berries or bacon. BACON. On Pancake Tuesday I generally have my pancakes for dessert after dinner. So, these pancakes would be great with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. 


I wish I cooked more pancakes. They're so easy to make and so versatile. These are sweet pancakes, obviously, and I'll have a savoury version up on the blog on Monday.

A sweet kind, a savoury kind: pancakes for all your Pancake Tuesday needs. 

TO PANCAKES.

Enjoy,

Holly, x


The beginnings of a beautiful breakfast/lunch/dinner/dessert. 


Whisk together the milk, eggs, vanilla extract and peanut butter until smooth.


Combine the self raising flour, salt, sugar and chocolate chips. 


Make a well in the centre of the dry mix and pour in the wet mix. Stir until just mixed and combined. The batter is ready to be cooked. 

Recipe, 

300g Self Raising Flour
4 Tablespoons Caster Sugar
Pinch Salt
300 ml Milk
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 Large Eggs
2 Tablespoons Peanut Butter
150g Milk Chocolate Chips
Butter or Oil, for frying

To Serve,

Nutella
Golden Syrup
Chopped Toasted Hazelnuts

Whisk together the milk, eggs , vanilla extract and peanut butter until smooth.
Combine the self raising flour, sugar, salt and chocolate chips and make a well in the centre. 
Pour in the wet mix and stir until just combined and smooth. 
Heat a frying pan and add a little butter or neutral oil.
Pour tablespoon sized pancakes into the pan, nicely spaced apart.
Cook on the first side until bubbles appear and start to pop-check the bottom of the pancakes to make sure they're not burning. You may need to adjust the heat. 
Flip the pancakes over with a spatula and cook until golden brown. 
Repeat until all the batter is gone.
Keep pancakes warm in a 200C oven on a heatproof plate until ready to serve.
Stack pancakes and serve with Nutella, golden syrup and chopped toasted hazelnuts. 


Want more pancake ideas? Here's a recipe for Oatmeal Pancakes with Fresh Strawberries

4 comments:

  1. Hello! These look amaaaazing! I live in Peru and caster suger is non-existent over here...I tried and failed to find it recently! Do you think normal granulated white sugar would do? Should I use less/more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there :) thanks for the kind words! yep you can use granulated sugar instead, they'll work just the same since it's such a small quantity. Follow the recipe as is and you should be good! Enjoy, x

      Delete
  2. Dang these look good! I feel as though a big stack of these would do wonders for my hangover right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah amanda you poor thing! yeah, these would do the trick...if you have energy to make them!

      Delete