August 22, 2013

Very Berry Crumble


You can call me Holly-Berry. Some people do. My Dad does. Can I say it's my nickname? Yes..I'm going to say Holly-Berry is my nickname.  Berries, they make everything better-my name, your porridge in the morning, your yoghurt at lunch and your ice cream for dessert. 


I love fruit. I eat a lot of it. When a particular fruit is in season I love eating it as it is because it's so sweet and fresh. 

Now I'm going to completely contradict myself with this post your reading. I can do what I want!! I've mixed the last of the ripe summer berries-strawberries, blueberries, blackberries-with a little sugar, lemon and cornflour and covered it liberally with a simple crumble topping. 

Who doesn't love crumble?


As well as loving fruit, I love fruit crumbles. Generally the ratio of fruit to crumble topping in my crumbles is ridiculous. I love a thick, buttery, crumbly crumble topping. Something you can sink your teeth into. 


Even though the fruit gets covered liberally with a crumble topping, somehow the juices and sugars find a way to bubble and seep out from below. It looks so lovely. And the colour? All the berries cook down and make a deep purple sauce that is incredible. I want to bottle the colour. I'll settle for buying a nail polish or lipstick though! It's so vampy. 

Enjoy, 

Holly, x


For this crumble I used a mixture of three berries: strawberries, blueberries and blackberries. Feel free to add raspberries or gooseberries. Not a lot of sugar is added to the berries because they are so sweet this time of year. I added some lemon in the form of juice and zest because I LOVE lemon with berries...so dang good. 

The crumble topping is nice and simple. It's got a pop of colour and texture from roughly chopped whole skinned almonds. Leave them out if you prefer, or use flaked almonds. 


Let's begin by hulling the strawberries and chopping any larger ones in half or quarters. 


Mix the hulled and chopped strawberries with the blueberries, blackberries, lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar and cornflour.

Nothing too challenging here. 


Mix the berries well, making sure no to burst them and set them aside as you make the crumble topping. 


Combine the flour, salt and sugar in a bowl. Plonk the cold, diced butter on top of the flour. 


Using your fingertips, work the butter into the sugar until the butter is roughly the size of peas. 


Give the almonds a rough chop and mix them in. 


Top the fruit with the crumble and bake it for 25-30 minutes in a preheated oven of 180C.



Filling

700g Mixed Fresh Berries, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries
2 Tablespoons Caster Sugar
1 Heaped Tablespoon Cornflour
Juice and Zest of 1 Lemon

Crumble

250g Plain Flour
175g Unsalted Butter, cold and cubed
50g Caster Sugar
Pinch of Salt
50g Whole Almonds, with skin

Preheat the oven to 180C and place a shelf in the centre of the oven.
Hull the strawberries by removing the green tip and half or quarter any large ones.
Tip into a bowl with the blueberries, blackberries, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and cornflour.
Stir until fully combined, making sure not to burst the berries.
Pour the fruit into a 24cm baking dish and make the crumble topping.
Combine the flour, sugar and salt in a bowl. 
With your fingertips, rub the cold, diced butter into the flour until the butter is roughly the size of peas. 
Roughly chop the almonds and mix in. 
Top the fruit with the crumble topping and place the dish onto a baking sheet.
Bake in the centre of  a preheated oven at 180C for 25-30 minutes until bubbling and golden on top.
Remove from the ovne, set onto a cooling rack and allow to sit for 15 minutes before serving with cream or ice-cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment