April 15, 2013

Muffin Doughnuts {mo-nuts/duffins}


Holly's Pantry turned one year old, three days ago, and I didn't even notice! For one solid year, I have been posting one recipe, maybe two recipes a week to my blog. At this stage, it has become natural. It has become a part of me and I cannot allow a week go by without blogging something. No matter how busy I am or how tired I am-I will always find a way to post something.

I absolutely love my food blog. I don't know what I would be like without it. I wanted a place where I could share my passion with others. Having a food blog has given me constant joy in my life. 


In less than two months I will be a fully qualified chef. I have worked in restaurants mainly on pastry and starters. I've done the 14 hour shifts in hot kitchens with a lunch and dinner service. I work in a cookery school now, while finishing my studies. Every once in a while I miss the adrenaline and fast pace of the professional kitchen. I learned and experienced so much in professional kitchens. But, I like the daylight too much, I need sunlight to feel happy. I like interacting with people and I like to have my own free time. Also, I'm quite a strong person, so I don't necessarily like being bossed around by unfriendly head chefs, although they're not all bad! 

I like to do things my way. If I have a vision for something I want to cook, I get up in the morning, cook it, photograph it and write about it without having to say 'yes chef', 'oui chef', 'coming chef'. I'm still young though,  at 22 I haven't made up my mind on many things yet. So, I might go back to a professional kitchen- time will tell! 


I have all these sheets of paper, memos and lists with things I want to cook and blog. I get ideas all the time and write them wherever I can. These ideas are very rough-more like flavour combinations rather than anything else. I am inspired daily. 

THERE'S MORE



I had such a craving for doughnuts and I don't know anywhere in Dublin to get a good one. I vaguely remember seeing doughnut muffins, mo-nuts if you will, online a while ago. Think of a doughnut and a muffin, mixed together in one treat..mind blowing! I love doughnuts covered in sugar and filled with jam, a real traditional choice. So that's what I did here. These mo-nuts have a real solid, comforting texture- they moisten in your mouth as you chew. The sweetness from the jam and the sugary crunchy coating is exactly like a doughnut. A muffin that tastes like a doughnut and only takes 40 minutes to make from beginning to end? Amazing stuff!

I made a few mo-nuts filled with lemon curd and drizzled with a lemon glaze-equally amazing!


Time goes by so quickly and this year has gone in a woosh. So, I want to thank you for liking my Instagram pictures, liking my Facebook updates, re-tweeting my Twitter activity. Mostly, thank you for reading my blog, it means a lot!

Enjoy,

Holly, x


So many delicious things begin with flour, sugar, butter, eggs and buttermilk. 


Sieve together the self raising flour, baking powder, salt and stir in the granulated sugar. 


Whisk the eggs with the buttermilk and a teaspoon of vanilla extract.


Mix the buttermilk mixture...


...and the melted butter into the dry ingredients, until combined.


This is quite a thick batter, so don't be worried about it. 


Spoon dessert spoonfuls of the batter into the base of buttered and floured muffin holes, make a little hollow and fill with a teaspoon of raspberry jam or any jam you like. 


Top with a heaped teaspoon of the batter and bake at 190C for 20-22 minutes or until slightly golden and springy to the touch. 


Brush with some melted butter and toss with granulated sugar mixed with a little cinnamon. 


Make sure to cover every inch of these mo-nuts with sugar! 

Recipe, 15-18 Mo-Nuts.

400g Self Raising Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
Pinch Salt
200g Granulated Sugar
2 Large Eggs
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract 
100ml Buttermilk
140g Unsalted Butter, melted
12 Teaspoons Raspberry Jam, 

200g Granulated Sugar
Ground Cinnamon, optional
75g Melted Butter

Preheat oven to 190C
Butter and flour a 12 hole muffin tin or fill with muffin liners. Butter and flour a second tin if you have it.
Sieve together the flour, salt and baking powder.
Stir through 200g of granulated sugar and make a well in the centre.
Whisk the eggs with the buttermilk and vanilla extract. 
With a fork, mix the buttermilk and melted butter into the dry ingredients-adding an extra splash of buttermilk if needed, to get all the flour combined.
This is quite a thick batter, so do not over thin it.
Into each muffin hole, spoon 1 heaped dessert spoon of batter.
Make a little well in the centre of the batter and spoon in 1 teaspoon of raspberry jam, or other filling.
Top with a heaped teaspoon of batter. 
If you have a second muffin tin, repeat this process, If you don't keep the batter aside until the first batch is cooked.
Bake at 190C for 20 minutes or until slightly golden and springy to the touch.
Remove from oven and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
Run a knife around the edge of the mo-nuts and lift out.

Melt the remaining 75g butter and mix the granulated sugar with ground cinnamon, if desired. 
Brush, or dip, the mo-nuts in to the melted butter and sprinkle, or toss in granulated sugar.
Make sure to cover every inch of mo-nut with a crunchy sweet layer of sugar.
Once all done, dig in!

Alternative Filling
12 Teaspoon Lemon Curd. Icing Sugar mixed with Lemon Juice, to make a glaze.
Any other jam, or shop bought thick custard.

2 comments: