March 25, 2013

Homemade Creme Eggs


I had an absolute nightmare of a week. The day I was due to hand in a research paper...I deleted it before I had emailed it to myself or printed it. I was hysterical-my mother thought someone had died! I hope it never happens to you. The stress of being in your final year of college is not a nice thing!

Anyway, onto happier things! I told myself, after my ordeal, that I was going to blog over the weekend and make something suitable for Easter that would be great for Easter gifts or as part of an Easter buffet-also- baby chickens were involved, so inevitably things were going to be amazing!


Easter means eggs. Eggs in all forms, shapes and sizes. Massive chocolate eggs filled with sweets, savoury eggs for breakfast or that one type of egg that comes around every year at spring time: the creme egg. 

The first creme egg of the year is momentous, no matter if it is shop bought or homemade.  I will say though, if your creme egg is homemade-people will think you are amazing, they'll want to be your friend. My sister loves creme eggs, so when I stumbled upon the idea of homemade creme eggs on Pinterest, I knew how my Sunday was going to be spent!


How absolutely adorable are these baby chickens??!! They were so tiny and soooo fluffy! My neighbour Oisin, brought these three week old chicks to my house so I could make my Easter post the most adorable one to date! Thanks Oisin!

I brought teeny, tiny, fluffy chicks into my kitchen all for you!.....I want one.

Enjoy,

Holly, x

Beat together golden syrup, butter, vanilla extract and icing sugar in a mixer to make the creme egg filling mixture. 

Dye a 1/3 of the mixture-yellow to make the yolks.  Freeze both egg 'whites' and 'yolks' in the freezer.

Roll the yolks and flatten out the whites once they have had time to chill in the freezer.


Taking a white with the yolk in its centre, in the palm of your hand, fold the white around the yolk and roll into an egg shape.

Secure on a toothpick. Repeat with all of the mixture and freeze while you melt the chocolate. 

Dip or spoon the chocolate over the eggs and secure the toothpicks upright in a potato. Allow to set in the fridge for ten minutes.

Recipe, makes roughly 30 depending on how large you make them.
Adapted from instructables.com

125g Butter, softened
150g Golden Syrup
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
400g Icing Sugar, sieved
Gel Yellow Food Dye**
100g Dark Chocolate
100g Milk Chocolate

In the bowl of a stand up mixer fit with a paddle beat together the butter, golden syrup and vanilla extract on medium speed for 3 minutes until light and fully mixed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
With the mixer on low, add in the sieved icing sugar little by little, again scraping down the sides of the bowl.
Turn the speed up to medium and beat for approx 2 minutes until well incorporated.
Divide the mixture into two bowls-2/3 in one and a 1/3 in the other.
Dye the 1/3 yellow with food colouring/turmeric**.
Place both bowls into the freezer for at least 15 minutes. 
Line two baking trays or plates (that will fit in your freezer) with non stick baking paper.
Remove the yellow mixture from the freezer and taking 1/2 teaspoon sized amounts-roll into 'yolks' and place onto a lined tray

Work quickly here, the yolks do not have to be rolled perfectly. You may need to return the mixture to the freezer. To keep you hands cold, keep running them under cold water, drying after.

Once all the yolks has been rolled, place the tray back into the freezer.
Now, scoop out small tablespoon amounts of the white mixture, roll into balls and indent with your thumb, repeat process and place in the freezer to chill.
Place a yolk in the centre of all the indented whites.
In the palm of your hand-fold the white around the yolk and roll into an egg shape.
Repeat until all your mixture is gone, stick each egg onto a toothpick and place back into the freezer.
Melt the chocolates together in the microwave on 30 second blast, stirring in-between each blast.
An egg at a time, dip or spoon the chocolate over each chilled 'egg', allowing the excess to drip off and stick them into a potato so that they set standing up.
Repeat the process until all eggs are coated and allow them to chill in the fridge for 10 minutes so the chocolate sets.
Carefully remove the egg from the toothpick and cover the little hole with a little extra chocolate.

**if you can't get your hand on yellow food dye (like I didn't) slowly, tasting in-between each addition, add several small pinches of ground turmeric until you are happy with the yellow colour. Promise- it doesn't affect the flavour! 

7 comments:

  1. Such a cute idea! And those chicks are adorable! Hope you have a lovely Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aren't they the cutest-they were so fluffy! enjoy your weekend too x

      Delete
  2. Holly, I've just seen this now and I'm contemplating hopping out of bed now to give it a go! These look incredible! Eh good work on the authentic baby chicks....made for some really amazing photos! Hope the assignment worked out ok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, ah thanks Emma Deirdre-yeah, I got it handed in! the baby chicks were the cutest thing ever!x

      Delete
  3. Emmm yiii I luff dem l0nG T11Mezz

    ReplyDelete