March 07, 2013

Buttermilk Blueberry Scones // Lemon Raspberry Rippled Cream




Mothers are the best. I love mine dearly. She knew me for nine months before I knew myself. If that isn't a deep connection-I don't know what is. She probably knows me the best out of all the relationships I have today, even the relationship I have with myself. My love for my Mam is strong-I  may not show it all the time (sorry!) but she knows it's there. 

She has taught me to be kind, patient and understanding. One of my favourite and most admired things about her is that she will always say-'do what makes you happy'. As a final year college student I think this is the best piece of information I have received.  If I don't do what makes me happy now-will I ever?  I have taken this on. I tell those closest to me to do the very same thing-why complain about something you don't find enjoyment in? 

This is me and my Mam-nice clothes!!

When I was 19 my Mam allowed me travel to New York City to live and work for 3 months and again when I was 20. She understood that travelling to NYC was something I needed to do to 'find' myself and never once stood in front of me. When I mentioned my interest in travelling to NYC she said-'go for it' and told me to make a phone call about getting a visa. 

So, Happy Mother's Day (this Sunday that is!), x




I told you last year on my Mam's birthday that breakfast was her favourite meal. So, again in honour of my Mam-a breakfasty treat! These scones will be part of a family breakfast with some granola, fresh fruit and possibly poached eggs this Sunday for Mother's Day.

There are blueberries in these scones but you can easily change them for raspberries, blackberries or strawberries. Maybe try adding some lemon or orange zest. The recipe below can be flavoured as you wish but blueberries are a really good choice!


These are generous scones, the recipe makes 12 big ones but with a smaller cutter you could probably get 16-22 scones! They are best eaten on the day they are made but can be reheated the next day. Also, they freeze uncooked for one week and can be cooked straight from the freezer-just give them an extra 5-8 minutes in the oven. 

Enjoy,

Holly, x


First, gather and weigh all your ingredient-this makes everything so much easier. You won't be running around the kitchen or rooting through presses looking for ingredients if you take the time to organise.


Start by working the butter into the sieved flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon using your fingertips to keep the scones light and fluffy.

Follow with the caster sugar and buttermilk whisked with eggs.


Carefully mix in the blueberries. I splurged and used fresh blueberries. I understand they can be a little pricey but all you'll need is one packet and besides...you deserve them!

You could totally use frozen blueberries, but they will need to be thawed and drained of any liquid. Also, they will most likely turn your scones a psychedelic blue!




Form the dough into a neat shape and roll out to a thickness of 1 inch. 

Using a 3 inch scone cutter, cut out the scones and place on a lined baking tray. Re-roll the scraps and keep going.


Brush the scones with a little leftover buttermilk and egg mixture and sprinkle with caster sugar. 

Bake at 200C for 15-20 minutes.


Allow to cool slightly before liberally dolloping with lemon raspberry rippled cream...SO DREAMY.

Recipe, makes 12 scones

450g Plain Flour
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
2 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon (optional)
150g Cold Unsalted Butter, diced
170g Caster Sugar + 1 Tablespoon for sprinkling
2 Eggs
200ml Buttermilk

Preheat oven to 200C and line 1 or 2 baking sheets with parchment.
In a large bowl sieve together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
Using your fingertips work the diced butter into the flour-quickly, making sure not to melt the butter- until the butter is the size of large peas.
Stir through the 170g caster sugar.
Break the eggs into the buttermilk and whisk.
Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mixture-keeping back about 100ml.
Using a fork, mix from the outside inwards until the dough has almost come together.
At this stage add in the blueberries and more wet liquid if needed and keep mixing.
Turn out onto a floured work surface and work quickly into a neat oval shape and roll out to a thickness of 1 inch.
With a 3 inch cutter cut out scones.
Re roll the scraps and keep cutting. 
Place on the lined baking tray and brush with left over buttermilk/egg mixture* and sprinkle with a little caster sugar.
Bake at 200C for 15-20  minutes or until lightly golden.
Remove from oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes on the tray before moving to a cooling rack.
Serve with lemon and raspberry rippled cream (recipe below)

*if you have no buttermilk/egg mixture left-brush with a little milk.



Lemon Raspberry Rippled Cream 

500ml Cream, stiffly whipped
2 Large Heaped Tablespoons Raspberry Jam (or another type if you like)
Zest of 1 Lemon, finely grated

Mix the finely grated lemon zest into the whipped cream-the cream should become a little looser as you work it.
Using a spatula gently fold the raspberry jam into the cream until you have  luscious clouds of rippled white and fuchsia cream.
Dollop onto scones!

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    We’ve recently launched the website Alldishes.co.uk. It’s a search engine that aims to gather all the best recipes from UK and Irish websites and blogs. We’ve noticed that you have a lot of great looking recipes on your blog that we would love to feature on our site. To read more about how it all works and to sign up with your blog, please visit: http://alldishes.co.uk or send us an email on info@alldishes.co.uk. We look forward to hearing from you!
    Kind regards,
    Senka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Senka,
    Thanks, I'll have a look at your site and get back to you!
    Thanks,
    Holly

    ReplyDelete