February 04, 2013

Nutella, Peanut Butter, Banana Hearts


I discovered a week ago that there is a holiday (?) taking place tomorrow, February 5th -World Nutella Day. Yep, this is a thing my friends! Are you horrified or overjoyed? I know my sister will be ecstatic. A day where it is acceptable to eat Nutella ALL day. Well, I don't know if it is acceptable but how else would one celebrate such a day? Please, tell me. 


If you are like me and my siblings, Nutella is a BIG deal. We weren't allowed  eat it when we were younger. It was an emotional day-a happy emotional day-when a jar successfully "got snuck" into the shopping trolley without Mam or Dad noticing! It was like gold. I think when we were smaller a jar of Nutella was bought once a year if we were lucky. I remember going to school and seeing friends with packed lunches of Nutella sandwiches (I remember the chocolate Nutella smiles on all their faces) while  I munched away on  a cheddar cheese sambo-not even a jam one.

 Now, as a more mature and responsible person (ha ha) I see the sense in my parents thinking and can definitely say that. 1) I have grown to love cheddar cheese and many other types of cheese. 2) I no longer envy those who have Nutella for lunch. 3) Nutella is still a treat for me. So, you must see my  need to post something in honour of a day that is all about Nutella.


I could have just posted two slices of white toasted bread spread generously with Nutella (still hard to beat), but you deserve more than that and these little beauties come close! These little heart shaped pastries filled with Nutella, peanut butter and banana show my love for it (and you) AND they will be a perfect treat for that special person on Valentines Day which is just around the corner!

Enjoy,

Holly, x


Some light pastry making is the toughest thing about these lovely pastries.

An express run through: rub butter into flour, add wet mixture, cling wrap, chill in fridge, remove from fridge, roly roly, cut into hearts...


...fill with Nutella, peanut butter, sliced banana, marshmallow(if you like), cover with more pastry, crimp to seal, egg wash and bake!

Recipe, makes 18-24 hearts, depending on the size of your cutter

Pastry

125g Plain Flour
1 Tablespoon Caster Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Maldon Salt or any flaky salt
85g Unsalted butter, diced and cold
1 Egg Yolk
1 Tablespoon White Wine Vinegar
Cold Water

Sieve the flour into a bowl, add the sugar and salt.
Rub the cold, diced butter into the flour until the butter is the size of peas.
Whisk the egg yolk and the vinegar.
Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the egg mixture.
Use a fork to stir the egg into the flour-add a little cold water to bring the pastry together if needed. 
Once the pastry comes together-wrap it in cling film and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Filling
5-6 Tablespoons Nutella
5-6 Tablespoons Crunchy Peanut Butter
1-2 Ripe Bananas
Mini Marshmallows
1 Egg,for egg wash 

Preheat oven to 200°C
Remove the pastry from the fridge once it has chilled and relaxed.
Cut the pastry in half, returning one half to the fridge.
Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch (think-nice and thin)
Using a heart pastry cutter cut out 18-24 hearts.
Depending on how large your cutter is-add 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon each of Nutella and peanut butter to the pastry heart, leaving a small border around the edge.
Add 2 pieces of thinly sliced banana and 1-2 mini marshmallows.
Repeat this until the pastry is gone.
Egg wash the edges of the hearts.
Remove the second half of pastry from the fridge, roll it out, cut out hearts and cover the Nutella - banana goodness.
Use a fork to crimp the edges and seal the pastries.
Egg wash and bake at 200°C for 8-12 minutes
Allow to cool slightly before digging in-if you can!






2 comments:

  1. The way you photograph your items is so interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I like to keep the food looking interesting! x

      Delete