January 07, 2013

Banoffee Cupcakes

  
This post is a tiny bit different than my usual ones. It still is about food, it still has pictures, it still has a recipe, it still has light banter (hopefully!), but, it is missing my usual step-by-step picture guide! Don't worry, it'll be back next week, promise.  


Want to know why I don't have step-by-step pictures this week? You must be curious! I'll be quite frank-I had absolutely no intention of blogging these cupcakes. I was going to the shop, told my brother I'd bake him something and that I could pick up ingredients if he told me what he wanted quick enough.  He said banoffee cupcakes before I could even make a suggestion. So, we have Sam to thank for these! I started baking them in the evening and had no natural light to take pictures beside the big window in the kitchen. 


So I held back a few cupcakes and decorated them the next day. The reason I decided to blog them? They were a bit of an experiment and they turned out pretty darn well! Sam said bannoffee cupcakes and I made a mental note, before I went to the shop of what is in banoffee-biscuit base, caramel, cream, banana and cocoa powder. In some shape or form all these elements are in the cupcakes: a biscuit base, a banana and chocolate chip cupcake with a caramel centre and a caramel buttercream. They are big, bold and beautiful! You could change the caramel buttercream for a big dollop of whipped cream if you fancy. They'd still be delish!


I will tell you one thing, something I was a little disappointed in myself about-I ate this cupcakes with a...fork! That's how large they are!

Enjoy,

Holly, x

Recipe, makes 15 cupcakes

Biscuit Base

10 Digestive Biscuit
75g Butter

Line a cupcake tray with 15 cupcake liners.
Bash the biscuits and melt the butter.
Stir together and divide amongst the cupcake liners, pushing into the base.

Banana and Chocolate Cupcakes

125g Unsalted Butter, diced and softened
250g Caster Sugar
2 Large Eggs
250g Self Raising Flour
4 Very Ripe Bananas
100g Dark Chocolate, cut into chunks
15 Teaspoons Caramel, I used Carnation Caramel

Preheat an oven to 180°C
Mash the bananas and chop the chocolate into chunks-set aside.
Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Sieve over the flour and using a spatula fold the flour in until it is half combined.
Add in the banana and chocolate chunks and fold until well combined.
Add 1/2 tablespoon of cupcake batter in on top of the biscuit base above, followed by 1 teaspoon of caramel.
Repeat this until you all 15 cupcake liners have caramel.
Take another 1/2 tablespoon of cupcake batter and spoon it over the caramel.
Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25minutes.
Remove from the oven and cool completely.

Caramel Buttercream

100g Caramel
100g Butter, softened
500g Icing Sugar, sieved
Milk

Beat together the caramel, butter and 250g of icing sugar for 3 minutes.
Add the remaining icing sugar and beat for another minute.
Add a little milk if the butter cream is to thick.
Spread/Pipe on top of the cooled cupcakes.

Garnish

2 Ripe Bananas, thinnly sliced
2 Digestive Biscuits, crumbled

For a little something extra-garnish the top of the iced cupcakes with a few slices of banana and a crubling of digestive biscuit!


2 comments:

  1. YUM. These looks so ridiculously good. I love banana cupcakes! And caramel buttercream sounds super dreamy. I'm glad you decided to post these!

    ReplyDelete