November 13, 2012

Peanut Butter Caramel+Chocolate Ganache Pie {OMG}



I was thinking the other day that I haven't made something with chocolate in ages. There has been a serious lack of chocolate on the blog and I apologise for this, profusely. What have I been doing? How have I let the use of chocolate in my life fall by the wayside? I'm utterly disappointed in myself. 

To rectify the lack of chocolate I made the mother of all chocolate desserts. Ludicrous, luscious, outrageous, decadent-all the words used to describe chocolate desserts spring to mind. This is a honking pie-big, fudgy, creamy and leaps and bounds better than a rice cake! 



So, I took my inspiration from a chocolate ganache filled pie. I wanted something a little extra-if I was going to go into the insane dessert category, I wanted to make sure that I represented and did a fabulous job! Peanut butter. Peanut butter and chocolate are great friends-let's add peanut butter in the way of a caramel layer. This is how my mind works when I'm trying to 'create' something!  I didn't feel like baking per se so I chose a no-bake cookie crust. Chocolate cookie crust obviously!

I'm going to tell you now-if you suffer from guilt, maybe you should sit this one out. By all means enjoy the pictures but steer clear of the pie! 

I will leave you with these few words of wisdom from a plaque my friend's Mam bought me-'did you notice, there's no recipes for leftover chocolate?'.

Enjoy,

Holly x


Bash the chocolate cookies...


...mix with melted butter...


...push evenly into the base of a cake tin.


For the peanut butter caramel, place the condensed milk, butter, brown sugar and peanut butter into a pot...


...bring to the boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes until thickened.


Pour on top of the cookie crust and allow to set.


For the ganache, place the chocolates in a bowl...


...and pour over heated cream and dissolved sugar.


Stir and finally whisk in the butter to make it fudgy and SUPER glossy!


Pour on top of the set peanut butter caramel and allow to set again!


Recipe, 1 x 8 inch round x 2 inch deep tin 

Cookie Base

200g Chocolate Cookies
50g Unsalted Butter, melted

In a bowl bash the biscuits until fine.
Pour over the melted butter and stir.
Press evenly into the base of a cake tin.
Place in fridge for 10 minutes.

Peanut Butter Caramel

1 x 397g Condensed Milk
50g Light Brown Sugar
50g Unsalted Butter
100g Crunchy Peanut Butter

Place all ingredients into a pot.
Bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring constantly for 5-10 minutes until thickened.
Pour on top of the cookie crust.
Place in the fridge and allow to set for 30-40 minutes.

Chocolate Ganache

250g Double Cream
2 Tablespoon Caster Sugar
300g Dark Chocolate Chips-55%
50g White Chocolate Chips
25g Unsalted Butter, softened and diced

Place the cream and sugar into a small pot.
Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer gently for 2 minutes to dissolve the sugar.
*Do not allow to cream to reduce!!*
Place the chocolates in a bowl and pour over the hot cream.
Stir with a spatula until the chocolate has melted.
Finally, whisk in the diced butter until melted and glossy.
Pour the chocolate ganache on top of the set peanut butter caramel.
Place in the fridge and allow to set for 1-1 1/2 hours.


2 comments:

  1. Just amazing! all my favourite ingredients in one dessert!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! Yeah, it's a dangerously delicious dessert!!

      Delete