October 01, 2012

Plum Crumble




There were 12 plums sitting in the fruit bowl at home. I had two options:

  1. Leave them there to be eaten with lunches during the week.

     2.  Take them all and make a sweet, syrupy, buttery crumble.

I felt like it was my duty to chose option 2. The plums were a little hard, so, I thought they would be best marinated in sugar and lemon juice before being topped with buttery crumble. It's what they would have wanted!


I'm a huge fan of crumbles. In my eyes they are the perfect dessert. They are simple to make and take no time to cook-that is why I love them. The combination of syrupy baked fruit hiding under a blanket of buttery crumble is to. die. for. So warming and satisfying! 

I like the fruit in my crumble to be soft. I like a generous layer of crumble. I like it warm with ice-cream. I hate when I realise I only have one spoonful left!!  

Picture this: a warm plum crumble slightly cooled from the oven, topped with a scoop of ice cold ice-cream so that it begins to slightly melt and mix with the red juices from the plums making an almost pink like custard in the bottom of your crumble. 

It really is the simple things in life eh?!

Enjoy,

Holly, x


Wash and half the plums.Remove the stone in the centre and...


...slice each plum half into 5-6 pieces and place in a bowl.


Sprinkle with the caster sugar and lemon juice. Set aside to marinate as you make the crumble topping.


Place all the crumble ingredients into a bowl and crumble together with your fingertips.


Crumble assembly! Either use 5 small pyrex dishes or one medium sized dish.


Add roughly 2 chopped plums to each dish (150g-200g) and with what's left over divide it around. 


Sprinkle liberally with the crumble topping. You may have some left over-freeze it! Bake at 180°C for 20-25 minutes or until golden, crispy and bubbly!

Recipe, makes 5 individual crumbles or one large.

12 Slightly Under-ripe Plums (ping pong sized) or 8 Regular Plums
75g Caster Sugar
1/3 Lemon, juiced

Crumble Topping

250g Plain Flour
175g Unsalted Butter, cubed
50g Caster Sugar
30g Rolled Porridge Oats

Preheat oven to 180°C. 
Halve each plum, remove the stone and slice each half into 5-6 pieces.
Place in a bowl and sprinkle with the caster sugar and lemon juice. Set aside.
Place all the crumble ingredients into a bowl.
With fingertips, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the butter is the size of peas.
Fill 5 pyrex or 1 medium baking dish with the plums.
Generously top with the crumble mix and bake at 180°C for 20-25 minutes.
The crumbles should be golden and bubbling.
Remove from oven-they will be roasting.
Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving with cream/ice-cream.....or both!

No comments:

Post a Comment