September 11, 2012

Pulled Pork Sandwich {Part 2of 2}


I apologise in advance if you are a vegetarian/vegan/pescetarian. Look the other way! Actually, maybe you should come back later in the week, this blog post involves a honking piece of pork shoulder. Sweet, tender, juicy pork. Drool. 

This is another sandwich I would love to have in my New York style deli (if I ever have one!) along with my chicken sandwich and steak sandwich. Big, honest and mouth watering-ly good!

Pulled pork has been on my to-do list for a while. I get so excited about cooking certain things -but I leave them on my list for the guts of a year. That's dedication if I ever I did see it! (N0t) Am I glad that I finely checked this recipe off my list?? Duh, I don't know why it took me so long!! 

Actually, yes I do. The pork shoulder takes 4 hours to cook. Fear not!! It is completely worth it! Think of all the stuff you could do while the pork is cooking-re-organise the kitchen, clean out 'that' press, find the matches to all your spare socks, write a poem, alphabetise your CD collection...or...watch day time TV, whatevs. 


After 4 hours the pork will literally fall off the bone.  Pull the pork from the bone, mix it with some barbecue sauce (make  this yourself) pile it high onto a bun and crown it with some creamy, tangy red cabbage coleslaw

Ok, before you go, remember these words-low and slow. Say it with me: 'loooow and sloooow'. You got it. The key to this pulled pork sandwich is the 'low and slow cooking method'. Cooking it overtime in a low oven as the cut of pork is seriously tough. A little bit like myself, haha, I joke! 

But on a serious note, you've got to dedicate yourself to the pork shoulder. It is your responsibility to make it soooo tender that you can just pull it from the bone. I have an immense amount of faith in you. Go forth and pull pork! 

Enjoy,

Holly, x


Get the dry rub ingredients together: soft brown sugar, smoked paprika, cayenne powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin seeds, salt and pepper. 


Take the pork shoulder, with the bone in and...


...rub all over with  the dry rub and leave to rest for 30 minutes.


In the meantime chop 2 onions and smash 5 garlic cloves.


After 30 minutes brown the meat all over...


...add the onions, garlic, dry cider and some white wine vinegar.


Swaddle the pork shoulder in parchment and...


...wrap with tinfoil.


When the meat is cooked, scrape the onions and garlic into a pot. Add tomato ketchup and brown sugar. 

Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes and voilà you have the easiest barbecue sauce!


Take two forks and 'pull' the pork from the shoulder into glorious threads of tender juicy meat.


Add 3-5 tablespoons of the barbecue sauce to the pulled pork to make it saucy!


Take a bun, spread with some mustard, pile on the pulled pork followed by some red cabbage coleslaw.

Recipe, makes 5-8 generous sandwiches

2.5-3 pound Pork Shoulder, on the bone
2 Medium Onions
5 Garlic Cloves
1 Bottle (330ml) Dry Cider
100ml White Wine Vinegar
5 Rolls
Yellow Mustard
Olive Oil


Dry Rub, adapted from Kevin&Amanda

1 Tablespoon Soft Brown Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Pepper

Preheat oven to 150°C.
Mix all the ingredients for the dry rub together.
Rub into the pork shoulder and leave for 30 minutes.
In the meantime peel the garlic and cut each onion into 6 pieces.
Heat some olive oil in a casserole/roasting tray that will fit in the oven and brown the pork shoulder all over.
Add the onions, garlic, white wine vinegar, dry cider and 100ml water.
Cover with parchment and tin foil.
Place in the oven for 4 hours.
Remove from oven, allow to rest for 10-20 minutes before pulling apart.
Remove the fat from the meat.
Place the meat in a bowl and mix with barbecue sauce.

Barbecue Sauce

After 4 hours remove the onions, garlic and any juices from the roasting tray.
Place in a pot, add 6 tablespoons of ketchup and 1 1/2 tablespoons of soft brown sugar.
Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
Blitz with a stick blender and add to pulled pork.
Use remaining barbecue sauce for dipping. 



1 comment:

  1. Aww Holls you legend, I freaking LOVE pulled pork!!

    ReplyDelete