September 20, 2012

Mini Lemon and Ricotta Crumb Muffins


I finished college earlier than expected yesterday. The first week back in college is pretty boring. I knew this would be the case, so I had planned to come home and make a quiche. If you follow me on Facebook you will know this. However, all did not go as planned. Does it ever?!

So, I got home and discovered I was locked out. Not cool. I don't think I have ever been so annoyed in my life. Hypothetically speaking, I may or may not have tried to pick the lock with a hair clip (didn't work). 

As a result no quiche on the blog today. I put two days thought into making a quiche. Is that the reason I got locked out? Some quiche-like being didn't want me to make one?? No, not going to fly-I am now determined to make a quiche. This weekend to be exact.



In the meantime I am sharing this mini muffin recipe with you. While I was waiting for a key sitting in my back garden, I was having a major freak out. I didn't think I would have a recipe to post on my blog today and I had a mini heart attack. I actually forgot I had this mini muffin recipe. You have no idea how delighted I was when I found it hiding on my desktop. 

Three weeks ago I made 150 of these mini muffins for my Aunty. They are totes easy to make and even easier to eat! They are super lemony, the ricotta makes them lovely and moist and the crumb topping is sugary and just fun!

They are perfect with a morning coffee or in a kids lunch box or whenever really! You hardly need to find an excuse to make and eat these?!

Enjoy,

Holly, x


Begin by making the crumb mix for  sprinkling on these mini muffins. 

Brown sugar, flour, butter and lemon zest.


Crumble the ingredients together with your fingertps until it resembles breadcrumbs.

Let it chill in the fridge as you get on with your mini muffins-mmm.


Sieve your flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda into a bowl.



Cream together the butter, sugar and lemon zest until...


... pale, light and fluffy.


Add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each egg, until creamy and glossy.


With the mixer on low,  add flour and ricotta and mix until just combined. Turn off the mixer and give one final mixing with a spatula.

This batter will be nice and thicker!




Line the mini cupcake tin with cases and add 2 teaspoons of batter to each case. 

Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the crumble mixture. Bake at 180°C.


 Make the super lemony sour glaze by mixing icing sugar with freshly squeezed lemon juice.


Once the muffins are cooked and cooled, lay them on a wire rack over a tray and drizzle liberally with the lemon glaze! 

Recipe, Makes 48 Mini Muffins or 12 Regular Muffins. Adapted from CrepesofRath

Crumb Mix

100g Plain Flour
100g Soft Brown Sugar
Zest of 2 Lemons
100g Unsalted Butter

Combine all ingredients together in a bowl.
Use your fingertips and rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
Place the bowl in the fridge  until later.

Mini Muffins

250g Plain Flour
1 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
Pinch Salt
125g Unsalted Butter, room temperature
200g Caster Sugar
Zest of 6 Lemons
2 Eggs
2 Yeaspoon Vanilla Extract
250g Ricotta

Preheat the oven to 180°C and line two mini cupcake tins with paper cases or one regular muffin tin with 12 regular paper cases.
Sieve together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking powder.
In the bowl of a mixer, beat together the sugar, butter and lemon zest until light and fluffy-about 2 minutes.
Add the eggs one at a time, cleaning down the bowl after each egg.
With the mixer on low add 1/3 of the flour followed by 1/2 of the ricotta, continue adding flour and ricotta until all gone, ending with flour.
Add 2 teaspoons of the muffin batter to the cases and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of crumb topping. 
Fill all the cases and bake at 180°C for 18-22 minutes.
Once baked, remove from oven, cool slightly in tin before removing from tins.
Once completely cooled drizzle over lemon glaze and allow to cool.

Lemon Glaze

75g Icing Sugar, sieved
1-3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed

Whisk together icing sugar with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
Add more lemon juice until the correct consistency is achieved.
You should be able to drizzle the glaze like a loose honey.



3 comments:

  1. Hello,

    We've recently launched the site Alldishes.co.uk where users can search through tens of thousands of recipes from UK and Irish food sites and blogs.

    We noticed that you have a lots of tasty recipes on your blog and would like to suggest you have a look at our Top Food Blogs section here: http://www.alldishes.co.uk/top-food-blogs.
    If you want to add your food blog to the list and have your recipes indexed on Alldishes.co.uk, all you have to do is follow the instructions here: http://www.alldishes.co.uk/add-your-food-blog

    Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!

    Warm regards,
    Senka
    RecipesUS.com, Hittarecept.se, Findeopskrifter.dk, Alleoppskrifter.no, Todareceta.es

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for share.

    ReplyDelete