August 27, 2012

Bacon Breakfast Hash



I've watched a helluva lot of Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives. I always watch it at night and end up going to bed absolutely starving. Well, not starving but extremely hungry. Hungry for gut-bursting food. The host, Guy Fieri, goes from restaurant to restaurant devouring cheesy, unctuous looking food. Not ideal before bed television viewing. 


A dish that pops up nearly every episode, is corn-beef hash. My brother, Sam, has been requesting I make this for months. I finally got around to it. I like to take my time doing things! Poor Sam, he didn't even get to taste it properly-he went rugby training and only got a mouthful before he left. He'll have to wait another few months before I make it again!


For most families, this week is back to school/work week-eww. I have another month or so before I go back to college. The weather this week-so far- has been shocking (good ole Ireland). 

I would like to think that this Bacon Breakfast Hash is a light at the end of your tunnel. Even if you've been back to work for a while or don't work,  this still is a glowing light in your very near future. 

It is simply beautiful. The mixture of salty bacon, crispy potatoes, sweet onions and creamy gooey fried eggs should give you a spring in your step. 

I see a lazy Saturday morning, some light slicing and dicing, friends or family, a pot of freshly brewed coffee and the weekend papers. Thank me later!

Enjoy,

Holly x



I'm just going to draw attention to the bacon lardons. Bite size pieces of bacon. MMM, bacon.


 Dice the potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes.


Cook the bacon until crispy and delicious, drain on kitchen paper.


Add the potatoes to the bacon fat and cook. Having food envy??!


Half cook the potatoes, then add the onions, followed by the garlic. The bacon flavour is going to be in EVERY bite!

Recipe, Serves 3 for Breakfast

200g Bacon Lardons, unsmoked
3-5 Medium Potatoes
1 Medium White Onion, sliced in half moons
1 Glove Garlic
3 Spring Onions, sliced
3 Eggs
Salt and Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
Olive Oil

Heat a little olive oil in a pan.
Add the lardons and cook until golden and crispy.
In the meantime, cut the potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes-don't bother peeling them.
Once the lardons are cooked, remove from the oil and drain them on kitchen paper.
Add a little extra olive oil and add the potatoes. 
Fry the potatoes in the 'bacony' oil until crispy and cooked through-Stir regularly.
Half way through the cooking add the sliced onion.
When the potatoes are cooked, add the crushed garlic and cook for 1 minute. 
Make three pockets in the potatoes.
Break an egg into each pocket and fry the eggs to your liking.
Serve in the skillet (pan) sprinkled with sliced spring onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment