July 16, 2012

Individual Steamed Steak Pies with Suet Pastry {Video Tutorial}

Lights, camera, action -________________- CUT!! 

Looks like making this video tutorial is going to be harder than I expected! Why can't I talk? Where are my words gone? Why can't I form a sentence?

Maybe I won't make it. I can stop now before I've even begun, no one has seen me. It'll be like I never tried.  No, I've got to do it - I've promised my public!! 



I'm glad I got myself together and made this video for you! It definitely was a challenge.  Trying to look straight at the camera lens and not blink like crazy is harder than it seems.  We've got to challenge ourselves though, don't we? If we don't, someone else will and when that happens we won't know what to do. Also you've got to laugh at yourself-a lot. I did a lot of that when I was editing this video. I'm so silly! 

This is my first video tutorial. A little rough around the edges but it comes from a good place. I seem so serious but I was just nervous. I'm usually a lot goofier! 

You'll find everything you need to know in the video and the recipe is written below! 

Enjoy,

Holly x



Recipe, Makes 4 Individual 150ml Dariole Moulds

Suet Pastry

200g Self Raising Flour
100g Suet-Vegetable/Beef
1 Tablespoon Freshly Chopped Parsley 
100ml-150ml Cold Water
Pinch of Salt

Sieve flour and salt into a bowl.
Add the suet and chopped parsley.
Mixing with a fork slowly pour in half of the water and stir.
Keep adding more water until the mixture comes together.
Turn out nto a floured surface and knead for 2 minutes.
Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. 

Filling

1 Tablespoon Freshly Chopped Thyme
2 Onions
4 Cloves Garlic
350ml Beef Stock
15-20 Button Mushrooms
200g Stewing Beef, 1/2 inch pieces
Salt and Freshly Cracked Black Pepper

Olive Oil


Begin by preparing all the vegetables and stewing beef. Above in video. 
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan.
Add onions, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper and saut√© on a low heat for 5 minutes until the onions have softened and are translucent. 
Add the 1/2 inch cubes of beef.
Cook for 6 minutes until the beef is brown and slightly golden. 
Add the chopped mushrooms and stock.
Put on a lid and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat and simmer until liquid has reduced by half. About 10 minutes.
Allow to cool.


Assembly


Divide the suet pastry into four equal pieces.
Measure the diameter of your dariole moulds-the circle of pastry will need to be twice this size. 
Roll each piece of pastry into a circle.
Cut out a quarter of each circle and keep for the lid and re-roll into a rough circle.
Line the dariole moulds with the pastry-See video.
Fill the moulds with cooled mixture.
Wet the edges of the pastry and place the pastry lids on top. 
Seal tightly.
Cover with tin foil and tie with twine/cling film-See video.
Steam for 45 minutes.
Remove from steamer. 
Using a tea towel hold the mould and invert the puddings out onto plates.
Serve with potatoes and vegetables. 

No comments:

Post a Comment