July 09, 2012

Fruit Salad


What's cooking?! Nothing actually. I've just got this fruit salad here I made. The entire time I was making it I was thinking 'what can I call it?'. You see, I hate the words fruit and salad together. It creeps me out. Reminds me of fruit cocktail from a tin. Oh God, even typing about it gives me the fear. 

I associate fruit salad with negativity: a brown squishy fruit salad in a massive bowl with every type of fruit imaginable in it. That just doesn't do it for me. I much prefer a simple fruit salad with three or four fruits. 


Sadly, I came to this conclusion. This IS a salad of fruit...a fruit salad. I understand I have to call it a fruit salad, but, only on one condition: you understand my hatred and fear of the words: fruit salad.

Ok now that that is cleared up-onto brighter things. This fruit salad is lovely and bright. We eat with our eyes after all, don't we?! The sunshine pineapple, violet blueberries, fuzzy crimson raspberries, jade green mint and shimmery lemon sugar. Shimmery lemon sugar? Absolutely. Raspberries and pineapples are naturally tart so putting them together in a fruit salad meant it needed a little sweetness. This is where the lemon sugar paste comes in. It adds a little sweetness and a lovely fresh lemony aroma! 

Feel free to use whatever fruit is your fave!

Enjoy, 

Holly x


Blueberries, raspberries, pineapple, lemon, sugar and mint sure do make a lovely fruit salad.


Grate the lemon and top with granulated sugar.


 Using a palette knife, rock it back and forth over the sugar and zest until you have a paste.

The sugar acts like sandpaper and breaks down the lemon zest.


If you are making a big batch of fruit salad, make the flavoured sugar paste in a pestle and mortar or in a  food processor.


Gather the fruit and...


...place in a bowl with the lemon flavoured sugar paste.


Tear over mint leaves and mix.

This isn't really a recipe but a guideline, you can use whatever type of fruit you want. The only thing I would follow is the recipe for the flavoured lemon: zest of 1 lemon to 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar. 

Serves 2

Handful Raspberries
Handful Blueberries
1/4 of a Pineapple, chopped into chunks
4 Mint Leaves
1 Lemon, Zest
1 Teaspoon Granulated Sugar

2 comments:

  1. I really liked this blog Holly. You have written about the food in a very colourful way. You made the (shhh!) fruit salad sound fantastic and the photos are terrific. Looking forward to your next blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments! Hope you're enjoying the blog :)

    ReplyDelete