June 18, 2012

Spicy Tomato Soup


Do you ever have a long list of things you want to do, but, never seem to actually get around to doing them? It's pretty annoying. I'm not a written list type of person. I make mental notes, add reminders and notes to my phone, rip out pages of magazines or fold them down like dog ears. I have some very detailed notes typed into my phone, written in short hand of course. Reading them now a week later I have no idea what I was talking about. Maybe I should get on the written list bandwagon. I've often heard people say that crossing off lists is very satisfying. Let me get back to you on this when I've bought the necessary supplies for list writing-a pretty notebook and a fountain pen.  

I have this list of things I've been meaning to make for my blog for a good solid three months, three things in particular that I seem destined never to make: Heuvous Rancheros, Kedgeree and Eggs Benedict. I don't know why I haven't made them yet because I really want to. What's preventing me? I don't know but I'm going to promise that I'll make one of the three this weekend...but...we all know how that will go!


I have two days a week that are dedicated to cooking, styling and photographing dishes for my blog. On one of these days last week, I decided to make this spicy tomato soup instead of any of the three dishes I've been meaning to make. Bad Holly. I'm going to blame my brother for this. I told him I'd make him tomato soup if he cleaned and hoovered my car. He got soup. My car still needs cleaning. Bribes obviously don't work any more. Take note people. 

The one good thing that came from learning that bribes don't work any more was the soup! Soup has got to be one of the easiest things to make. By roasting the vegetables before blitzing them, you impart this beautiful caramelised flavour that works so well with Mediterranean vegetables. 

When the vegetables are roasting your house is going to smell delicious. Open the doors and windows, let the smell waft out. Make yo' neighbours jealous! 

Enjoy,

Holly x



Red onions, red pepper, red tomatoes, chilli flakes, sugar, salt, pepper and olive oil for roasting in the oven.


Beautifully roasted and caramelised...


...look closer. See?


Place in a pot, cover with  stock, bring to the boil and blitz. 

Soup Time.

Recipe, Serves 6
Preheat oven to 240°C
12 Tomatoes On The Vine,
1 Red Pepper
3 Red Onions,
1/4 Teaspoon Chilli Flakes,
1 Heaped Tablespoon Caster Sugar,
1 -1.2 Litre Chicken/Vegetable Stock,
Salt & Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
Olive Oil
6 Tablespoons Cream

Quarter the tomatoes and lay on a baking tray.
Cut the pepper and onions into sixths.
Sprinkle the tomatoes with the sugar, salt, pepper and olive oil.
Sprinkle the peppers and onions with chilli flakes, salt, pepper and olive oil.
Roast for 45 minutes in the preheated oven.
The pepper and onions may need to come out after 30 minutes.
Once all the vegetables are roasted, place in a pot.
Cover with 1 litre of  stock and bring to the boil.
Blitz and add more stock if too thick.
Pour into bowls and decorate with a tablespoon of cream.
Serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment