June 04, 2012

Fried Eggs with Bruschetta Topping



You've heard it over and over again-breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I'll be the first to admit that during the week when I'm up early to go to work or college, breakfast is the last thing on my mind. I'm so bad. The snooze button on my alarm is my weakness. I'll sacrifice breakfast for 10 extra minutes in bed. It's bad, I know. I regret it all the time! 11am rolls around and if I'm not passing out from weakness my belly is trying to have a conversation with itself figuring out why I haven't fed it! 

In an ideal world I would wake up before my alarm went off, well rested. I would have an endless supply of ladder free tights with every piece of clothing I own washed, dried and ironed. I would have the luxury of getting ready for my day at a leisurely pace. Having completed this, I would rest in the kitchen for a well rounded healthy breakfast before strolling to the bus stop to be on time for the ever punctual (not) bus.   

I want to meet the person who has a life like this and just look at them. I bet people never say to them 'Oh, you look tired today'.


Since I neglect breakfast during the week I like to make up for it over the weekend. Not literally. I don't eat 5 breakfasts on Saturday morning! But I do like to make breakfast over the weekend special. Breakfast can be so exciting. Especially if you know it's going to be something more then your regular cereal and toast. And hey, I ain't knocking cereal and toast. If it ain't broken don't fix it. 


This breakfast is definitely a little something something extra! It's a combination of eggs on toast mixed with bruschetta. I'm gonna tell you it's ah-may-zing! It's easy to make and chances are you'll already have everything you need at home. 


It consists of lightly toasted ciabatta, a gooey fried egg and a bruschetta topping made from freshly diced plum tomatoes, red onion, basil, olive oil salt and pepper. Salivating yet?! 


Chill and relax making this. Open the windows in the kitchen (if there isn't a gale force wind outside), put on your fave CD and pop the kettle on. One you have the bruschetta topping made let it sit for a a few minutes so all the flavours join together in flavour town. In the meantime make a cup of coffee, check some emails or read the paper. Or in my case make a batch of Oatmeal Pancakes for those awkward people in your family who don't like eggs!
Not having breakfast during the week is almost worth spoiling yourself at the weekend!


Much like a piece of music this breakfast has movements. Two movements to be exact. Hand to plate, food to mouth. Do you hear that?! It's the sound of good eats!


Enjoy,
Holly x



Breakfast is in our future.



Some tomato de-seeding. I added a few yellow tomatoes mostly for a pop of colour. Totally not a requirement!


Slice the tomato into 5-6 strips and then into a little dice. In French culinary terms this dice is called a brunoise. 

Keep the skin of the tomato on the board, it'll slice much easier. I'm here to help. 


Add to a bowl with 2 finely chopped or grated cloves of garlic, 1/2 small red onion, salt, pepper and olive oil. 

Don't the colours just scream healthy summer?


1 loaf of ciabatta sliced into 3/4 inch pieces. The bruschetta element. 


Lay on a baking tray and lightly bake.


Lay some basil leaves on top of each other...


...roll into a cigar shape...



...and slice finally. Some more fancy French culinary terms: this one is called a chiffonade.

I mixed some of this basil into the bowl of tomatoes and onions. My bad, I forgot to photograph that part. Don't judge. 

Recipe, Serves 3


6 Eggs, Two Each
3 Baby Yellow Tomatoes, Optional
3 Plum Tomatoes
1/2 Red Onion
2 Garlic Cloves
5-6 Basil Leaves plus 3
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
Salt and Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
1 Loaf Ciabatta, 6 Slices-1 Per Egg


Preheat oven to 200C
Quarter each tomato. Using a baby spoon remove the seeds.
Slice each quarter into 5-6 strips and then into a small cubes.
Place into a bowl.
Finely dice the red onion and garlic, add to bowl.
Chiffonade the basil and add to the bowl.
Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
Season with salt and pepper.
Cover and allow to sit at room temp for 10ish minutes. 
Slice bread into 3/4 inch thick pieces, lay on a baking tray and crisp in the oven for 5-7 minutes but don't allow it to brown. 
Fry your eggs to your liking in a little oil.
Top each piece of ciabatta with an egg, some tomato bruschetta topping and a torn leave of basil. 
*Cutlery optional!* 

No comments:

Post a Comment