May 26, 2012

Oven Roasted Sea Trout with Lemon Almond Butter



This dish was inspired by two things: the fabulous weather and the fast approaching ITICA (Irish Traditional Italian Chipper Association) National Fish and Chip Day  on Wednesday May 30th. 


I really wish I ate more fish. My two brothers don't eat fish so consequently we rarely eat fish for dinner. Or, if we do, we have to cook a separate dinner for them. Awkward much?! 


I get my daily dosage of Omega-3 from tins of tuna. I could easily stand in the kitchen and eat the tuna straight from the can. I remember living in New York, my friend Jesika would come  back to the apartment in the early hours of the morning after waitressing and eat a tin of tuna. Student living at it's finest right there! 






A golden opportunity arose yesterday - no brothers for dinner! One was at the beach and the other was playing golf. Living the life, right?!

 I headed to the fish monger in the afternoon to be 'inspired'. He had some lovely sea trout at a great price, so I bought it. It was so warm yesterday that I didn't want a heavy dinner or a dinner that was going to be time consuming. With this recipe, dinner is ready in less than 20 minutes- no exaggeration! A simple salad was perfect to serve with the fish. Although, we had to have bread to satisfy my father's need for a bit of 'carb-action' at dinner time! 

This is my version of Truite aux Amandes an old school classical French combination. Since I'm not French, we're having Trout with Lemon Almond Butter!

Two things to note:  

I forgot to the weigh the trout but we had one each. (Human error)
I added no dressing to the salad, the lemon almond butter was more than enough.

Enjoy,
Holly x


Begin by toasting your almonds...



...try not eat them all!


Make a simple mixed green salad, whatever you fancy! 



Roast the trout for 10-12 minutes at 220°C.



In the same pan as you roasted the almonds, melt the butter,...


...once it begins to brown around the edges remove from heat and add the juice of one lemon.


Add the toasted almonds to the butter and spoon over the roasted sea trout.

Recipe, Serves 3


3 Trout
2 Tablespoon Butter
75g Flaked Almond
Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper


Salad


1/2 Red Pepper, diced
5-6 Mixed Cherry Tomatoes, halved
2 Spring Onions, thinly sliced
Handful Sultanas
Mixed Salad Leaves


Crunchy Bread, optional

Preheat oven to 220°C.
Lay the trout on a roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Place in the preheated oven and roast for 10-12 minutes. Once the fish flakes easily you know its done.
While the fish is roasting, mix your salad.
In a small dry frying pan toast the flaked almonds over a medium heat.
Remove and place in a bowl.
Once the fish is almost ready, after 8-10 minutes, melt the butter in the frying pan you toasted the almonds. 
Once the butter begins to brown around the edges, turn off the heat and remove. Don't let it burn. 
Squeeze in the juice of 1 lemon-watch for the sizzle and spit!
Add the toasted almonds back in, mix and spoon over the fish.
Serve with your salad and the bread. 




No comments:

Post a Comment